Rare footage shows a wild baby panda roaming the bamboo forest with its mother in a Chinese nature reserve
- The wild cub, aged about one, was spotted in the Fengtongzhai park in Sichuan
- Footage shows the young bear following its mother, seemingly looking for food
- Another wild panda was filmed peeing while doing a handstand in the same area
- The park said the sightings showed the constant improvement of its ecosystem
A precious wild panda cub has been caught on camera taking a stroll with its mother in a bamboo forest in China.
The baby bear, believed to be one year old, is seen in the 15-second clip following the mother panda as the pair roamed in a nature reserve in Sichuan Province.
In the wild, pandas are only found at high altitudes in mountainous areas of western China. The latest census from 2014 showed there were 1,864 wild pandas in the world.
The wild panda cub and its mother were recently spotted by a camera at the Fengtongzhai National Nature Reserve in Sichuan in western China. The cub is believed to be one year old
Footage shows the young panda crawling slowly but steadily behind its mother as the two seemed to be hunting for food. The pair were said to have appeared near a research station
The rare footage was recently captured by a camera set up by researchers at the Sichuan Fengtongzhai National Nature Reserve.
The pair were said to have appeared near a research station.
Handout footage shows the young panda crawling slowly but steadily behind its mother as the two seemed to be hunting for food.
Panda cubs usually leave their mothers to live independently between 18 and 30 months old.
This means it wouldn’t be long until this adorable cub goes out to find bamboo on its own.
The park believed sightings like this showed the continuous improvement of its ecosystem
The park has golden snub-nosed monkeys, an endangered species native to China (file photo)
According to a release from the reserve, this is the second time it has recorded the activity of a panda and her cub in the same frame since last November.
And another panda was recently filmed peeing while doing a handstand in the same area by a different camera.
The park believed these sightings showed the continuous improvement of its ecosystem.
Situated in the county of Baoxing in Sichuan Province, the 151-square-mile Fengtongzhai National Nature Reserve is home to wild pandas and golden snub-nosed monkeys, an endangered animal species also native to China.
Why are panda cubs so precious?
Four-month-old panda cub ‘Yuan Meng’ is pictured during its naming ceremony at the Beauval Zoo in France in December, 2017
It’s difficult for a female panda to get pregnant due to a few reasons.
Among all female pandas, only 20 per cent or so are fertile, and the other 80 per cent have trouble forming healthy eggs, according to Chen Yucun, a panda expert at China’s Strait Panda World in Fuzhou.
In addition, a female panda is only on heat once a year for about 48 hours, making it hard for keepers to arrange mating or artificial insemination.
Lastly, it is extremely rare to find male pandas which are capable of natural mating.
Only less than five per cent of the whole male panda population can do so without human intervention, according to Zhang Guiquan, an expert from the China Conservation and Research Centre.
‘So female pandas do not have much choice,’ Zhang told Shanghai Daily.